Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Git'er Done!

My Mom said this to me the other day. Seriously. I was whining and crying about my thesis. After about 5 minutes of sympathy (which is is about what you get in my family before you are told to suck it up and move on) she said:

"Seriously Shelly. Just git'er done"

Another friend recently told me that writing a thesis was just like factory work, you just pump out a product that meets the minimum standards you need it too.

Part of me hates this, I want my thesis to be perfect, and to change the world. I want my friends and family to read it and be awed by my genius. The reality is that it really is slog time and I just need to finish it, I can perfect it when I publish it. I am just plugging away. Some things I write knowing they will be completely scrapped later, but I just have to get something on the page because you can't perfect what isn't there.

Still a long way to go, but thanks Mom, I am no longer aiming for perfection, I am just trying to git'er done.

No comments: