I have a confession to make. I hate coffee, the only way I can drink it is in Cafe Mocha format with so much sugar I sacrifice a tooth for every extra hour of wakefulness.
Upon finding out my distaste for what other grad students call "Brown Gold" or "Liquid Energy." I am generally met with looks of skepticism and outright disbelief. Then when I tell them at the most I drink tea or diet cola (yes... I said cola, not satan...I mean coke) at the most, but generally try to get a full 8 hours of sleep, my veracity as a grad student is quickly called into question.
"Well you must be a part time student" Nope.
It's true, I have had approximately 1 and a half cups of coffee in my entire life. Once when I thought I would try it to see what the big deal was. And once when a well meaning uncle who doesn't speak English bought me a cup and I felt too guilty to throw it out. Even having pulled at least 30 all nighters throughout my life to finish various projects I never use the java.
Same with energy drinks... the best tasting ones taste like lemon flavoured urine (please don't ask how I can make this comparison), the worst ones, well I want to keep this blog at least mildly clean.
I really don't know how I do it, I had to stop drinking Mochas because of all the sugar so I can't even have that caveat anymore. I guess my research is just so interesting and stimulating that I am never tempted to fall asleep. Yeah right.
Anyway, what ever the reason, this may be my only chance to hold a title of note and value. Neil Armstrong: first Man on the moon, Hilary Clinton: first female presidential candidate, Me: First author of a thesis to not use caffeine and complete it in under ten years. That is a record anyone can be proud of!
No comments:
Post a Comment