Monday, March 2, 2009

Red Tape Math

I am building a theory of math that combines relativity with chaos theory with well, other mathy things that sci-fi shows use to justify bringing people back from the dead.

My newest fact to add to this collection. We have been reading response time lines wrong. When an office says it will take 2-4 weeks to get back to you, it actually means that the office will take 2 to the power of 4 weeks to get back to you (which my calculator tells me is 16 weeks). Likewise, 6-8 weeks is actually way longer than I want to inform you about.

This is why you will get a rejection letter for a scholarship you applied for two years ago.

Please note: this formula does not work when you owe an office at the school money. It only works when there is a chance of you getting money from the school. If you owe the school money the response time is actually simple subtraction. you should pay within 6-8 weeks actually means you should have paid 2 weeks ago, and you are probably incurring late fees/interest which will result in creitors being called in 2-3 days (you have heard from them already haven't you)?

that's all for now, I will add more math tidbits as I learn them, though understand the beaurecratic system is unstable and liable to change anytime a butterfly in China sneezes.

No comments: