Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Fredericton

Let me say right off the bat, I like Fredericton, but I hate spelling it.

I had a great bus ride where I slept for half, worked for half. I did catch the most interesting fencepost while looking out the window though. Apparently some efficient farmer, needing fence posts but having only a car, decided to cut his car in half (from top to bottom) using the top half as one post and the bottom as the other. I appreciate ingenuity wherever I can find it.

After arriving in F-town, I went to the loyalist cemetery which dates to the 1700s, very interesting overhearing Americans learning about the revolution from the loyalist point of view, which is definitely different from the narrative told in the states (generally the role of the bad guy switches, I mean really, they both tarred and feathered each other, lets move on).

I also spent some time in the York Sunbury Museum. Talk about the little museum that could, they have so much stuff and cover so many topics on what is obviously a very small budget. Good for them. I sometimes wonder what would happen if small museums like this were given the opportunities afforded to museums in other big cities.

I am also curious, where do you think the birth of Canada happened, I have now talked to people from PEI, Newfoundland, Quebec, Winnipeg and New Brunswick, all of whom claim that the birth of Canada happened in their province (each giving a variety of dates). I guess how we define “birth” will change that answer, but I’ll be interested to see what people think and how they define it.

I then had tea at a place called “Trinitieas” which turned out to be a teashop run by some Evangelical Christians…hence the pun. Lovely tea and a nice veggie soup. I then hopped on the bus back to Saint John, where I slept again and had my dinner at a little Thai place where the two ladies on staff both wear Hawaiian shirts and there are fake palm trees, quite the little establishment.

I have two more days here, I am working at the Jewish Museum today and looking forward to it. I also bid goodbye to the Delta tonight and move to the student residences on campus. Goodbye free breakfast, but hello 20 dollars a night.

I miss you all and I will post again soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to stop in and visit us, Shelly. You are right; resources can get fairly tight, but we always get by thanks to the wonderful support we get from the City of Fredericton, the people of the area, and from curious individuals passing through like yourself. If you are ever in the area, you should drop in for another visit. We have a number of new exhibits opening this season, including our tribute to Alexander (Boss) Gibson (lumber baron, cotton mill owner, and founder of the nearby town of Marysville) and our Museum Anniversary Exhibit (come see remnants of one of the oldest buildings in Fredericton or our 94 year old coronation cake).

Hope to see you soon,
The Staff of the York Sunbury Museum