Manitoba, thus far, has been my biggest surprise in Canada. While I hated it when I first got here, it grew on me once I started exploring, and not in the fungus way (it's too cold here for many mushrooms to grow).
The original slogan for Manitoba's license plates was "Manitoba, its people are friendlier than its climate." They soon realized that this really wasn't that big of an accomplishment, and shortened the slogan to "Friendly Manitoba". The people here were very friendly, I attribute this to the large mennonite population, because everyone knows mennonites are awesome.
I divided my time between three areas, Winnipeg, Steinbach and Brandon. I have nothing to add about Brandon, you can drive through it and pretty much get the point (this isn't to say it isn't a good point, just an easily understood point). Steinbach is a small town outside of Winnipeg mostly inhabited by Mennonites. The interesting thing, I think this might be the skinniest town in Canada, which makes no sense. I ate at a Mennonite restaurant (which was very similar to a japanese restaurant in that I pointed at the food I wanted because I couldn't say the names). I could feel the fat in the food, but it was delicious, but all the Mennonites who claimed to eat there every day were, well...stick thin. However, I don't think there is a low German word for vegetarian yet, just a caution for my more fastidious vegetarian and vegan friends.
Winnipeg, well, it's a city with a slow seduction, and a city that has worked hard to make itself beautiful, there is art everywhere on the streets, most of it quite good. If you get off of portage (FYI to french people, plug your ears when they pronounce this street) the city is quite lovely. The red river gives you a new appreciation for the power of mud, but even that is surrounded by decorated polar bears. Saint Boniface is just cool.
Winnipeg also is home to something called confusion corner (really, this is the most accurate nickname in the world....ever), I think this here Winnipeg deserves the award for worst urban planning. To rectify this I would like to make an introduction, Winnipeg, meet the roundabout, roundabout, meet Winnipeg. Winnipeg I know you are generally suspicious of "Eastern Influences" but I promise that the roundabout was one great thing to come out of europe, and soon you will love it as much as you love bad british pub food.
On my way out of Winnipeg towards the next province (sassafras or something), I learned the quirky joy of the side road. Museums in what look like war bunkers and beautiful parks in the middle of no where (and wicked ice cream ten minutes outside of nowhere). I think what this really means is all those Winnipegers who found out I was from Toronto and told me to get lost, they really were just being friendly, good old friendly Manitoba.
2 comments:
Guess what? I found a Mennonite church on the Danforth yesterday. Now you;ll have to come visit me so that you can check it out. Safe travels!
Greek Mennonites? Definitely as soon as I get back!
Post a Comment